Sun, 24 November 2013
It's time for another exciting and compelling episode of the Rock Star Principals' Podcast! Episode 17 pulls no punches as the Rock Stars tackle a plethora of awesome topics ripped right from the headlines in the world of education. Get ready for:
- Book Talk: The Global Fourth Way by Andrew Hargreaves (@HargreavesBC) and Dennis Shirley (@DennisShirley)
- This was the annual DASD Book Club reading chosen by DASD Superintendent, Dr. Lawrence Mussoline (@lmussloine), and organized by Supervisor of Professional Learning, Jennifer Saksa (@DASD_ProfDev).
- The Rock Stars reference Singapore, Finland, California, Canada, Doug Robertson (@TheWeirdTeacher), Dr. Todd Whitaker (@ToddWhitaker), fighting, Hawaii/Idaho/Wyoming/Montana, SNL (Wayne's World)(@NBCSNL), and more...
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsors: Who's Down With RSP? (Yeah, you know me!)
- The Church of Whitaker: What Great Principals' Do Differently #12: What do your best teachers' think?
- This one really had the Rock Stars' fired up! They referenced Colin Powell, Mr. Miyagi, Happy Days, Henry Winkler (@hwinkler4real), and more...
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsors: Rainbow Brite
- Pro Wrasslin' Talk: What more can we say? After an engaging #arkedchat this week, the great Todd Whitaker dubbed chat moderator, Daisy Dyer Duerr (@DaisyDyerDuerr) with the wrestling moniker, 3D! The wrestling talk starts there!
- WWE (@WWE), Stone Cold Steve Austin (@SteveAustinBSR), Hulk Hogan (@Hulk Hogan), Afa the Wild Samoan (@WildSamoan)(@AfaAnoai), WXW (@WXWC4)(@WXWOffice), Rocky III (@TheSlyStallone), The Rock (@TheRock), and more...
This one is extra-long and jammed packed! Don't miss it!
Mon, 11 November 2013
The Rock Star Principals are mixing things up and giving you an eclectic variety of segments this week! Be prepared for the following:
- "How to Create Effective Homework" by Holly Korbey (@HKorbey) from KQED (@KQED)
- The Rock Stars review this well written argue and present some controversial thinking on the topic of homework! How is it controversial? Well, let's just say that the Rock Stars aren't buying into the 'homework hype.' Alfie Kohn is referenced (@AlfieKohn)
- A Word From Our Fake Sponsors: The Thundercats (1980's)
- Church of Whitaker: #11 What Great Principals Do Differently
- #11 discusses "Loyalty" and its importance for school leaders! The Rock Stars talk about "I" versus "We," Level 5 Leadership (Jim Collins from Good to Great), and Millersville University (@millersvilleu)
- A Word From Our Fake Sponsors: NAESSP (@NAESSP)
- TV Review: The Walking Dead Season 4
- The Rock Stars talk "Walking Dead" (@WalkingDead_AMC) and make a plug to get Chris Hardwick (@nerdist), host of "Talking Dead" (AMCTalkingDead) on the Podcast! Fear us, Chris!
- NEW Segment: "Rock Star Music"
- Tonight we feature our very own Michael Indeglio (@mikeyi99) and his tune, "Lorraine-Spin Around!" Love it up, @JerseyBoysInfo and @BroadwayWorld @Broadwaycom!!!
Rock on with twisted steel and school appeal!!!
Thu, 7 November 2013
Episode 15 has hit the airwaves with all kinds of Rock Star good-ness! Check out the following:
- "Why Do Teachers Quit" by Liz Riggs (@Riggser) from the Atlantic (work by RIchard Ingersoll cited)
- Ingersoll and University of Pennsylvania (@PennGSE)
- Dan Pink (@DanielPink) motivation discussed
- Todd Whitaker (@ToddWhitaker) on how we should view our own profession
- How the Associations and Unions can help...
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsors: Honeycomb Cereal
- Church of Whitaker: What Great Principals Do Differently #10 (and debrief from interview)
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsor: Happy Meal Guys from McDonald's
- A Kindred Spirit: Bat Dad (@BatDadVine)
Enjoy with twisted steel and school appeal!
Sat, 2 November 2013
The long awaited Episode 14 is here with nationally celebrated educational author, Dr. Todd Whitaker! Jon and Nick had the awesome opportunity to interview Dr. Whitaker prior to his Keynote Address at the PAESSP (Pennsylvania Association for Elementary and Secondary School Principals) Conference held in State College, PA! This episode features all of the following awesomeness:
- Interview with Dr. Todd Whitaker
- What do your best people think?
- Shifting the Money
- The Importance of Hiring
- Threats and Challenges in the Principalship
- Staying Fresh on the Job
- What "level" is Dr. Whitaker's favorite?
- What super-powers would Todd choose? (the answer may surprise you)
- A certain World Series a few years ago...
- Along the way, a mention or two for Geoff Colvin, Dan Pink, and Mike Schmoker...
- Words from Our Fake Sponsors
- Drug PSA - "I Learned It From Watching You"
- DDP Yoga
Do not miss this episode! Tell everyone on Earth! Shout it from the Rooftops! And keep it real with twisted steel and school appeal!!!
Tue, 29 October 2013
Lucky Number 13 "hits the shelves" a day early because it is just too big to contain! The Boss and The Doctor are thrilled to have a passionate, witty, intelligent, and dedicated author join the podcast today for a slam-bang interview! Tune in for:
- An exclusive interview with Doug Robertson (@TheWeirdTeacher), author of "He's the Weird Teacher," who covers an incredible range of topics that include:
- "Park and Bark" Teaching
- Batman (@BatmanArkham)
- Reaching Students
- Pacific Rim (@PacificRim)
- Dr. Seuss
- Restorative Practices (@iirpgradschool)
- Henry Winkler (@hwinkler4real)
- What Teachers Want from Administrators
- Nick Nolte in the 80's film, "Teachers"
- Favorite Costumes
- and much, much more...
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsors: Chuck E. Cheese (@chuckecheese)
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsors: DDP Yoga (@DDPYoga and @RealDDP)
Special thanks to both Doug for his time and our Producer, Mike Indeglio (@mikeyi99) for making tonight's episode possible! Keep it real with "twisted steel and school appeal!"
Mon, 28 October 2013
The Rock Stars unveil episode 12 as they "hang and bang" with all the Principal Rock Stars at the PAESSP Conference in State College, PA! Episode 12 features:
- The final part of the Dr. Dina Wert interview...Pennsylvania's Nationally Distinguished Principal for 2013!
- The Church of Whitaker #9
Get on board the "Crazy Train" and check it out!!!
Thu, 24 October 2013
The Rock Stars have recovered from the celebration of their 10th episode and they deliver in spades on episode 11! Listen for these awesome nuggets of awesomeness!
- The Church of Whitaker #8 - Dynamics of Change
- This segment heavily features discussion of "change" and Henry Winkler (yes, THAT Henry Winkler, Dr. Tony Wagner, Michael Fullan, Charles Schwann, Bea McGarvey, and Howard Gardner!
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsors: "Brain on Drugs"
- Part II of the Interview with Pennsylvania Nationally Distinguished Principal, Dr. Dina Wert!
Don't miss it!
Sun, 20 October 2013
It's the Rock Stars' 10th Episode Anniversary! When it all started two months ago, who would have thought they'd be here? Hmm...well, I guess that's a bit of a push. Anyway, the boys are bringing you a GIANT-SIZED 10th episode that "brings it" in every way possible in addition to unleashing a HUGE announcement. Prepare yourselves for:
- VIP Interview: Dr. Dina Wert - The 2013 Pennsylvania Nationally Distinguished Principal (from West Bradford Elementary School)
- During Part One, the Rock Stars talk to Dr. Wert about her life in administration, Ultraman (yes, she knows him), and what keeps her motivated...
- Church of Whitaker: What Great Principals Do Differently #7 (Hire and Retain the Best Teachers)
- This passionate segment is close to the hearts of both Jon and Nick. During the course of this segment, they discuss PAESSP, PSEA, "Dance of the Lemons," Teach Like a Pirate (Dave Burgess), Jedis and Padawans, ways to tell who a future rock star will be from their interview responses, why hiring is so important, and more!
Don't miss this awesome tenth episode, fellow Rock Stars! Listen NOW!
Thu, 17 October 2013
The Rock Star Principals are in full swing as the third episode of the week "drops" today! The dialogue and discussion today is education-heavy, so be ready!
- Church of Whitaker: What Great Principals Do Differently #6
- A Word from Our Fake Sponsor: PAESSP / NAESP
- Huffington Post Article Discussion "10 Things to Give Up in Exchange for Happiness" by Tamara Star
Sun, 13 October 2013
You heard right! This is a bonus episode of the RSP Podcast! Listen now and hear:
- Part II of the interview with Mike Indeglio where Learning Management Systems and Schoology are discussed
- Fake Sponsor: Thundercats (1980's)
- Interviews with teachers on the scene at "Family Fun Night!"
- Fake Sponsor: The Philadelphia Flyers (NHL)
Enjoy, Rock Star Principals! Enjoy!!!